Biden Readies Sanctions on Russian Banks, Individuals After Ukraine Invasion
By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- U.S. President Joe Biden said the U.S. would unleash the first tranche of sanctions on Russia and individuals after President Vladimir Putin moved to carve out a bigger chuck of Eastern Ukraine.
"I'm announcing the first tranche of sanctions to impose costs on Russia and respond to their actions yesterday," Biden said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin confirmed that Russia had recognized the expanded borders of Luhansk and Donetsk after initially indicating that Moscow would recognize only the two separatist-held areas in Eastern Ukraine. This has stoked fears that Putin plans to launch a further invasion of Ukraine.
"We're implementing full blocking sanctions to large Russian financial institutions, VEB, and their military bank," Biden said. These sanctions, which would start on Wednesday and continue in the days ahead, would cut off Russia's government from Western financing.
"Russia can no longer raise money from the West and cannot trade in its new debt on our markets or European markets ," the president said, adding that individuals in Russia, who benefit from Moscow's actions, would also face sanctions.
"We will also impose sanctions on Russia's elites and their family members [who] share the corrupt gains of the Kremlin policies and have to share in the pain as well," Biden said. "Because of Russia's actions, we work with Germany to ensure Nord Stream 2 will not move forward."
If Russia chooses to expand its invasion, the U.S. and its allies are prepared to implement additional sanctions.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
I invested $5000 with expert mr Henry Anderson Fx on Face📄book and I made huge profit of $25200 in just one week.Like 1
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or