By Aditya Raghunath
The top five stocks on Nifty today were all bank stocks. IndusInd Bank Ltd. (NS: INBK ) gained 7.54% while State Bank Of India (NS: SBI ) closed up 6.66%. ICICI Bank Ltd (NS: ICBK ) gained 4.45% while HDFC Bank Ltd (NS: HDBK ) and AXIS Bank Ltd (NS: AXBK ) gained over 3.4% each. Nifty Bank closed up 4.01% today.
Cipla Ltd. (NS: CIPL ) and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (NS: BRTI ) lost over 2.2% each today while Larsen & Toubro Ltd (NS: LART ) closed down 1.91%. SBI Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: SBIL ) lost 1.4% while Nestle India Ltd (NS: NEST ) closed 0.45% lower.
The rally in Indian markets was in sharp contrast to other Asian markets. Nikkei 225 and KOSPI 50 lost 0.92% and 0.6% respectively while Shanghai Composite pared early gains of over 1% to end up 0.78%. In Europe, FTSE 100 , Lyxor UCITS CAC 40 (DR) D-EUR (PA: CAC ) and DAX have all opened in the red.
US stock markets are set to open the week in cautious mode, against a backdrop of the selloff in crypto that may bode ill for other high-beta assets such as technology stocks. Crypto aside, the emergence of a new and more highly transmissible strain of the Covid-19 virus in India has cast fresh doubt on the world economy’s path to reopening. Dow Jones 30 Futures are down 0.34% while S&P 500 Futures and Nasdaq 100 Futures are down 0.32% and 0.37% respectively.
Why did Indian markets rally?
Two major reasons behind the rally in Indian markets are the approval of the DRDO drug and the expected pick-up in the speed of vaccination roll-outs.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
There is no reason of rise and fall.The market is manipulated by big players to loot common public money. When corona cases were on peak citizens were dying on the road no admission in hospitals lack of oxygen then market was rising. Now market rose today, why? Approval of DRDO drug. Good jokeLike 2
Big players are making position in f&o FII taking money out this is the of bull run , market will move sideways ,don't make long position be cautious, market can soon see 13700 levelsLike 1
yes absolutelyLike 0
tomorrow will be profit booking .Like 4
tomorrow will be profit booking .Like 1
tomorrow will be profit bookingLike 1
One more reason is significant decrease in daily covid cases.Like 1
Very uncertain movementsLike 0
going downLike 1