Apollo Global to buy chemicals firm Univar in $8.1 billion deal
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Shares in Univar Solutions Inc. (NYSE: UNVR ) jumped by more than 12% on Tuesday after the chemical company announced that Apollo Global Management (NYSE: APO ) had agreed to take it private for $8.1 billion plus debt.
The purchase, which Apollo struck alongside the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, values US-based Univar at $36.15 per share, representing a more than 15% premium to the firm's Monday closing price of $31.17.
A spokesperson for Apollo told the Wall Street Journal that the private equity firm's takeover includes a financing package worth more than $4B from nine different banks.
The agreement comes after Univar, the world's second biggest chemical distributor, halted talks over a possible merger with larger rival Brenntag (ETR: BNRGn ) in January.
"The Board's decision follows a comprehensive review of value creation opportunities for Univar Solutions," said chairman Chris Pappas in a statement. "We are confident this transaction is the right path forward and achieves our goal of maximizing value for Univar Solutions shareholders."
The transaction, which still requires shareholder and regulatory approval, is expected to close in the second half of 2023, Univar said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or