Investing.com -- Shares in Amgen (NASDAQ: AMGN ) rose in premarket U.S. trading on Friday after the U.S. biotech company improved its annual earnings and revenue forecast, and said it expects to close its planned multibillion-dollar acquisition of Horizon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: HZNP ) by mid-December.
The California-based group raised its guidance for adjusted earnings per share in 2023 to a range of $17.80 to $18.80, up from its previous outlook of $17.40 to $18.60. Revenue is also expected to come in at between $26.6 billion to $27.4 billion this year, a slight uptick from a prior estimated band of $26B to $27.2B.
Amgen flagged that the revised forecast does not include any impact from the $27.8B Horizon deal, which is currently facing a lawsuit from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
The FTC has previously warned that "rampant consolidation" in the pharmaceutical industry, such as the Amgen-Horizon tie-up, could lead to higher prices for patients. Amgen has said it will present its case in court in September.
"Management's commentary was somewhat limited, reiterating their confidence in legal proceedings with the FTC and their continued enthusiasm around the [Horizon] deal," said analysts at Baird in a note.
Meanwhile, Amgen reported income excluding items of $5.00 per share on revenue of $6.99B in the second quarter. Both figures topped estimates thanks in part to solid demand for its cholesterol and osteoporosis treatments.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.