By Rajendra Jadhav
MUMBAI, Jan 17 (Reuters) - A local official from India's ruling Hindu nationalist party on Sunday registered a police complaint against an Amazon Prime web series alleging it insults Hindu gods and goddesses, and threatened to launch a protest at the company's office in Mumbai.
Protests against Amazon.com AMZN.O have been organised for Monday to warn it not to show scenes insulting Hindu gods and goddesses, Ram Kadam, a BJP member of the Maharashtra legislative assembly, said in a tweet after filing a complaint with police in Mumbai on Sunday.
The political drama "Tandav" also drew the ire of other lawmakers from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), causing fresh controversy for the e-commerce giant which last year had to withdraw dozens of rugs and doormats depicting Hindu gods from its international Amazon.com platform after a backlash in India.
BJP Member of Parliament Manoj Kotak, in a letter to India's Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar dated Saturday, said that the makers of Tandav "have deliberately mocked Hindu gods and disrespected Hindu religious sentiments".
He called on the ministry to immediately form an authority to regulate streaming platforms, and in the meantime called for a ban on the series.
Amazon did not respond to requests for comment.
India late last year brought streaming platforms under the oversight of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry and said it plans to regulate their content.
Reuters partner ANI reported on Sunday that the ministry had summoned Amazon Prime Video officials in connection with the controversy.
Streaming services have gained traction in India because of the availability of affordable smartphones and cheap mobile data, making the South Asian nation a battleground for Amazon, Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX ) and Disney as they seek to expand outside their home markets.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
It is not the ruulibg party who are against tandav series. we thee citizens also are against anyone for mocking and making fun of our God's every now and then! have some shame whoever is writing this article. don't put it on ruling party we all want to get it banned. Mockery of any God of any other religion is also not acceptable and same with Hinduism!Like 2
It is not the ruulibg party who are against tandav series. we thee citizens also are against anyone for mocking and making fun of our God's every now and then! have some shame whoever is writing this article. don't put it on ruling party we all want to get it banned. Mockery of any God of any other religion is also not acceptable and same with Hinduism!Like 0
Translation of Reuters : It’s the ruling BJP which is oppresive but poor multibillion $ Amazon is just making a fun out of Hindu Gods ( but definitely not other Gods because who wants to be handicapped ) and all Hindus are secular and love how their Gods are made fun of and appreciative of Amazon and grateful for streaming in IndiaLike 0