Amazon acquires Indian social commerce startup GlowRoad
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) E-commerce giant Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) on Friday said that it has acquired homegrown women-focused social commerce startup GlowRoad for an undisclosed sum.
In a statement, the company said the acquisition will help it meet the commitment to digitise 10 million local Indian businesses by 2025.
"Amazon continues to explore new ways to digitise India and delight customers, micro- entrepreneurs and sellers and bringing GlowRoad onboard is a key step in this direction," a company spokesperson told IANS.
The acquisition comes at a time when the social commerce industry in India is booming, with players like Flipkart's social commerce platform arm Shopsy and Meesho.
Amazon said that with GlowRoad, it will help accelerate entrepreneurship among millions of creators, homemakers, students, and small sellers from across the country.
"This acquisition will complement GlowRoad's already loved service with Amazon's technology, infrastructure, and digital payments capabilities, bringing more efficiency and cost-saving for everyone," said the company spokesperson.
GlowRoad recently raised nearly $32 million and has investors like Accel, Vertex (NASDAQ: VRTX ) Ventures and CHD Investments, among others.
The platform has over six million resellers and is present in more than 2,000 cities.
A recent Accenture (NYSE: ACN ) report said that as the global social commerce market is set to reach $1.2 trillion by 2025, India will be one of the fastest growing markets in the space.
The report said that India's social commerce market is expected to grow at a 59 per cent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to reach $17 billion in gross merchandise value by 2025.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or