- At the top of Bloomberg's Billionaires Index are the world's best investors, the crème de la crème of finance. And now they are on InvestingPro too.
- Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Carl Icahn, and Ray Dalio all outperformed the S&P 500 over the last 3-5 years.
- Want to know how these tycoons invest and take advantage of their investment ideas to get the most out of your portfolio? Start a free InvestingPro trial and discover the true potential of your investments.
"If you don't plan to hold a stock for 10 years, don't even consider holding it for 10 minutes."
"Don't take annual results seriously, look at 4 or 5 year averages."
"Time is the friend of the wonderful business, the enemy of the mediocre."
"Part of my success can be attributed to inactivity: most investors cannot resist the temptation to constantly buy and sell."
Those are the words of Warren Buffett. According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, he is the world's fifth richest person, worth $113 billion. Buffett has achieved a remarkable 110% return in just three years, outperforming the S&P 500 during the same period. He is widely regarded as the Oracle of Omaha due to his exceptional vision while investing.
For Buffett, the secret of success is to always invest with a long-term horizon and avoid impulsive decisions during moments of panic.
Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ), is another financial tycoon. The fourth richest person on the planet, according to Bloomberg, with a net worth of $126 billion.
His portfolio holdings also outperformed the S&P 500 over a 3-year period, with a return of 82%.
Icahn Enterprises founder and majority shareholder Carl Icahn also outperformed the S&P 500 over the last three years, earning a 73% return on his portfolio.
Ray Dalio, the founder of Bridgewater Associates, the world's largest hedge fund, achieved a higher return than the S&P 500 over a five-year period.
Dalio recommends avoiding being in cash as it is vulnerable to high inflation.
Key Information on Major Investors' Portfolios
Dalio, like all other major investors, loves the financial markets and knows how to make the most of periods of volatility.
But can we all do it, and can we learn to invest like the world's greatest investors?
During these volatile times, the significance of portfolio diversification cannot be overstated. So, Investing.com recommends learning from great investors to maximize your returns.
With InvestingPro, you have access to investment ideas from big-name investors, hedge funds, investment advisors, etc.
Experience the power of InvestingPro, with a free 7-day trial. Unlock a range of filters to analyze various aspects, such as the performance of participants' shares over different timeframes like the last month, 3 months, or 1 year.
Additionally, gain insights into portfolio turnover, which measures the speed at which fund managers buy or sell shares within a fund. You can use this link to start your trial.
In addition to its features, InvestingPro provides a comprehensive company search engine that allows you to explore how specific companies invest. Furthermore, you can refine your search by investor profile, including options such as stockbrokers, hedge funds, investment advisors, private equity funds, and more.
With InvestingPro, you can also discover investment ideas based on the concentration of shares in specific sectors such as energy, real estate, industry, health, and more. This feature enables you to identify sectors of interest and potential investment opportunities within them.
Useful Portfolio Insights
InvestingPro offers a comprehensive suite of tools to analyze investment ideas, including the ability to delve into the profile of renowned investors like Warren Buffett.
Within Warren Buffett's profile, you can access a range of valuable information such as the latest SEC reports, top holdings based on the latest Form 13F filing, historical price performance of his investments, InvestingPro fair value assessments, analyst targets, and more.
These insights empower you to make informed investment decisions by providing a deeper understanding of Warren Buffett's strategies and holdings.
Certain features, like sector concentration analysis, require InvestingPro+ premium. With InvestingPro+, you gain access to advanced functionalities and data for deeper insights into investment strategies and sector allocations.
InvestingPro provides access to asset information in an investor's portfolio. In Warren Buffett's portfolio, you can access a comprehensive summary of assets, including market details (current price, market value, etc.), risk indicators (solvency ratio, total debt, financial leverage, etc.), efficiency metrics (profit margin, revenue margin, return on equity), and forecasts (revenue forecast, earnings per share - EPS - forecast).
With InvestingPro, you can conveniently access comprehensive information and outlook on a company in one place, eliminating the need to gather data from multiple sources such as SEC filings, company websites, and market reports.
In addition to analyst targets, InvestingPro provides a single-page view of complete information, saving you time and effort.
Disclaimer: This article was written for informational purposes only; it does not constitute a solicitation, offer, advice, counsel, or recommendation to invest nor is it intended to encourage the purchase of assets in any way.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.