If you missed the morning or were waiting for confirmation, well the S&P 500 delivered a solid breakout yesterday, albeit on modest volume. The development came with a MACD trigger 'buy' and On-Balance-Volume 'buy' signal, leaving technicals net bullish.
The NASDAQ Composite added to its breakout with another decent white candlestick on a 1.5% gain. This added to the technical strength of the index. The only disappointment was the generally light buying volume.
The Russell 2000 ($IWM) built on Wednesday's breach of its 50-day MA. There is still lots of work to do before the index clears $180 and begins a right-hand base. Technicals are net bullish although the index is still underpeforming relative to the Nasdaq and S&P.
The coming days will be about consolidation when sellers return. We have a solid breakout in the S&P 500, a consolidated breakout in the Nasdaq, and a bullish cross of the 50-day MA for the Russell 2000. All of these point to a positive few weeks (and months) ahead. Getting back to 2021 highs seems reasonable from here.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.