Our REDUCE recommendation on Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) with a price target of INR 78 is premised on (1) muted crude oil and gas realizations and (2) lack of production growth for oil. Despite production cuts from OPEC and non-OPEC countries, we expect oil prices to remain at USD 36/41 per barrel in FY21/22E vs. USD 63/bbl in FY20, given the weak global macros. Lower oil and gas realizations will drag down profitability for ONGC. In 1QFY21, revenue was ~8% below our expectations owing to a lower-than-anticipated crude oil price realization of USD 28.7/bbl (vs est. USD 31.7/bbl). EBITDA was ~15% above our expectations due to lower-than-anticipated operating expenses and employee costs. However, APAT fell by ~36%, courtesy substantially lower than-anticipated other income.
Standalone financial performance: Revenue for 1QFY21 stood at INR 130bn (-51/-39% YoY/QoQ). Revenue fell mainly on account of a lower crude realization (-57/-41% YoY/QoQ). EBITDA fell by 61/31% YoY/QoQ to INR 59bn due to the trickle-down effect of lower revenues. APAT came to INR 5bn (vs INR 59/-31bn in 1QFY20/4QFY20).
Standalone operational performance: 1Q crude oil realization was USD 28.7/bbl (USD 66.3/49.0 YoY/QoQ) whereas gas realization was USD 2.5/mmbtu vs. USD 3.9/3.3 YoY/QoQ. Oil sales volumes were 5.2mmt, -2.6/- 5.2% YoY/QoQ. Gas sales volumes were 4.2bcm, -15.2/-9.2% YoY/QoQ.
Outlook for FY21/22 (standalone business): We expect crude oil production volumes to remain subdued at 21.4mmt in FY21 and recovery to 22.8mmt in FY22. Natural gas volumes should dip from 19.4bcm in FY20 to 18.9bcm in FY21 and recover to 20.2bcm in FY22. Oil prices should remain muted at USD 36/41 vs. USD 59 in FY20, given weak global macros, despite production cut from OPEC and non-OPEC countries. The gas realization should slide to USD 2.7/2.9 per mmbtu in FY21/22E (USD 3.9/mmbtu in FY20).
We value ONGC’s standalone business at INR 54 and its investments at INR 24. The stock is currently trading at 9.7x FY22E EPS.
The full version of the analysis including charts can be found in the attached PDF file:
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.