The frontline Nifty 50 index has been trading in a range for a long time now. After decent intraday volatility seen on the budget day, market participants seem to have taken a break. Even the RBI’s 1st MPC decision for the year on 8 February 2023 couldn’t help the market to trend on one side.
This range-bound trading on the index is expected to continue for the upcoming weekly expiry as well. As written in my previous analysis, the budget day’s high and low would remain the key levels to watch out for in case traders are trying to anticipate a trending move. The resistance of 17,972.2, rounding it off to 18,000 and the support of 17,400 - 17,350 are the levels within which traders can find a lot of mean reversion opportunities.
Image Description: Daily chart of Nifty 50 (spot)
Image Source: Investing.com
Mean-reversion trading is done when the underlying security is moving sideways, giving a good risk-to-reward ratio to counter-trend trades, i.e. long on the dips and short on the rallies. This is exactly what’s been going on at the index level for the last many sessions. However, there is no dearth of stock-specific action.
This ~600-odd points range is providing options sellers a good environment to trade. Although it is not easy to short-sell options when India VIX is trading at a very low level of 12.93, by 10:38 AM IST as premiums on the options become less lucrative, the low volatility also means a lower probability of a sharp rally, which is a good thing. So ultimately it is a trade-off between a high probability of low profit and a low probability of high profit.
As per the option chain data, the 18,000 CE for the 16 February 2023 expiry holds the highest open interest (OI) (just like the previous weekly expiry) of 1.39 lakh contracts, making it a strong resistance. This is almost the same level as the budget day’s high. In other words, investors are again expecting this level not to be taken out easily.
On the downside, 17,800 PE has the highest OI of 1.47 lakh contracts, which is intriguing as it’s very close to the Nifty 50 Feb 2023 futures value of 17,870. So this is a high level of confidence coming in from bulls. All in all, this tussle between both bulls and bears might again result in a sideways expiry.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Low VIX doesn't last longLike 1
it is based on single candle, I think this is for Mr. Market kid and school kid...jokes apart. Good analysis👍Like 0
option selling becomes lucrative nice joke if it breaks resistance all will run to cover shorts.. otherwise pant shirt all will removed by market...Like 5
NICE ANALYSIS 17000 SUPPORT & 18000 RESISTANCE EVEN A SCHOOL KID CAN GIVE THISLike 6
i expected the moon be yellow n sun b white by 23feb expiry ...you never knowLike 1
I expected nifty retest 17250 17050 by 23feb expiryLike 5