Are Consumer Stocks Sending Chills to Broader Market?
For nearly 15 years, consumer stocks moved higher in an orderly trend. But more recently, that trend has changed from bullish to uncertain.
And we can see this in today’s ratio chart.
Above is a ratio chart of the Consumer Discretionary ETF to Consumer Staples ETF . Inflation has hurt discretionary spending…and it shows up in a big way on this chart.
For the first time in 15 years, the discretionary/staples ratio has broken its uptrend and is testing the underside of its rising trend channel.
Bulls sure hope the ratio can climb back into the rising channel. Stay tuned.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or